Maybe you’ve heard of vision boards, but if you’re reading this your unlikely to have created or used one with a great degree of success. A vision board is large physical poster or a digital collage that you put together to help you achieve your personal development goals or any other goals for that matter.
You build it using pictures of your personal development goals. For example, if you want to climb Mount Everest, you might include photos of the Everest, your hiking gear, a Sherpa, that’s what they call the mountain guides and famous mountain climbers, preferably ones who didn’t die on the mountain.
Whenever I mention vision boards there’s always someone who thinks it’s just nonsense, but a vision board can be useful!
What can a vision board do for you?
- It can force you to determine your personal development goals.
- It leverages a system in the brain called the Reticular Activating System to seek out opportunities that aid in the achievement of your personal development goals.
However, it does not magically make the objects of your desire appear in your life without any work on your part. You’ll still have to work, but a vision board can be invaluable.
Use these strategies to create and use an effective vision board for your personal development goals:
- Decide what you want to be, do, and have. This is one of the primary reasons that vision boards can be so effective. They require you to think about what you want and to make a few choices.
- You might need to spend a day or two working on this. Think about what you want for your life. Remember that you can’t have everything, so think carefully and choose the things and experiences that are most important to you.
- Be bold. If your vision board doesn’t inspire you, it won’t be effective
- Find visual images that represent what you want to be, do, and have. You can look online or in magazines. What’s important is that you have the same feeling when you look at the photo as you do when you think about that thing. The sensations should match.
- Arrange your vision board in a way that pleases you. You can be orderly or use more of a collage style. Each objective can have its own board, or everything can be combined on a single board. There are no rules. Follow your instincts and allow your creativity to flow.
- Hang your vision board where you’ll see it frequently. A vision board sitting in the closet isn’t of much use. Consider your daily activities and put your vision board where you’ll see it most frequently.
- Take a photo of your vision board. Use your phone and take a photo. That way, you’ll have it wherever you go. You can always pull out your phone and view your board.
- Use a Vision Board App. If you don’t have the space to hang a physical vision board, use a vision board app to create a digital vision board. Make it more immersive by adding video and audio.
- Start and end your day with your vision board. At the very least, take a long look at your vision board when you first wake up and when you go to bed. You might need to rely on a photo if your vision board isn’t in your home.
- Use a process to view your vision board. Think about each personal development goal you have and look at the photos that represent those goals. Allow yourself to feel excited about achieving that goal. Feel yourself on top of the mountain, losing 50 pounds, or driving that BMW.
- Go through each item on your vision board and experience success in your mind.
- Be persistent. Vision boards don’t work overnight, but they do work. They remind you of your personal development goals and keep them at the forefront of your mind. They allow you to experience positive feelings with regards to achieving your goals. Keep at it.
- Take action. Avoid the belief that your dream car will suddenly appear in your garage one morning. You still have the responsibility to take action. Using your vision board will allow you to notice more opportunities. Take advantage of them.
Start your first vision board today and use it daily. There’s nothing to lose. Making a vision board can be fun. If you have any children in your life, they’d love to help! A vision board can be more powerful than you think.
What’s Next for Your Personal Development Goals
I hope you liked this introduction on how vision boards can help you achieve your personal development goals, I have created a step by step course complete with work books, checklists and worksheets to help you master the art of vision board creation and finally reach those goals you’ve been dreaming about for years. Download your FREE 4 week Vision Board Master Class below.