Which is the best vision board app for your needs? That is the question I will help you to answer by the end of this post. Everybody has different needs when it comes to digital vision board apps. What are yours? To help you answer this I would like to share an experience that I feel sure you can relate to.
Happy New Year
At the beginning of January every year I used to set out my goals for the year ahead. New year’s resolutions they call them. Resolution, I don’t think so, until recently I can’t remember any year where I resolutely stuck to my goals.
Most years I would quit before the end of January, some goals I managed to keep going until February, if I was lucky but inevitably every year these goals fall by the wayside before we hit March. Does this sound familiar to you?
All that changed when I started looking at my life in a different way, not by setting goals but by envisioning a future that excited me and building my goals on the back of that vision.
Without purpose, without an exciting vision my goals just never seemed to last. One of the best ways to bring a vision of the future to life is through vision boards.
What is a Vision Board
A vision board is a wonderful tool for reminding yourself about your goals and your ultimate outcome each day. One of the most challenging parts of achieving goals is sticking with them.
It is easy to become distracted, lose hope, or even forget about them. A vision board is a solution for all these challenges.It is easy to become distracted, lose hope, or even forget about your goals. A vision board is a solution for all these challenges. I will help you focus on you're exciting vision of the future. Click To Tweet
Regular use of a vision board keeps your goals fresh in your mind. Using a vision board also associates positive feelings with the achievement of your goals.
So, what does this have to do with which vision board app is best for you…everything.
To make your digital vision board work you must understand what the purpose of a vision board is and it is probably not what you think it is, you must be able to create you’re exciting vision on it and it needs to be available at a moment’s notice, both on a routine basis and in your moments of weakness.
The vision board app you select must satisfy all the above criteria or it will be completely ineffective.
What is the REAL purpose of a Vision Board App
As great as vision boards are, they are not magical. You can’t just create a vision board and watch it everyday hoping for everything on it to ‘manifest’ itself.
Many marketers trying to sell you stuff would have you believe otherwise but I am not one of those people.
The REAL purpose of a vision board is to keep you focused and motivated. With a lazer like focus on your goals and high motivation, half the battle is already won but you still need more.
You need a solid plan and all the resources required to carry out the plan. With these three in place, motivation, a plan and the necessary resources you have the best chance of achieving your goals.
The vision board is what is going to keep you motivated because once the shine of your newly formed goals has worn off and the reality of what it is going to take to achieve them sets in, you are going to have some really challenging days when you just want to give up.
When this happens, you will need your vision board with you to remind you of why you are doing it and to give you the strength to get through it.
Classic vision board
Nearly anything can serve as a vision board. Ideally, your vision board will be portable enough to carry with you. Then you can use it at any time. At minimum you will need to be able to look at it every day.
If you want to do it old school you can make one from poster board, cardboard, or even on a spare wall.
If you do it this way it will be more difficult to take with you which is why Vision Boards Apps are a great alternative or even better, they can be used together.
It might be more fun to create your vision board the old-fashioned way, cutting out images and sticking them down with glue sticks but it does have its drawbacks for use.
Digital Vision Board App
A good digital vision board is much more immersive. The ability to add video and audio will help bring it to life. You can even take it a step further by adding subliminal audio tracks.A good digital vision board is much more immersive than a physical one. The ability to add video and audio will help bring it to life. You can even take it a step further by adding subliminal audio tracks. Click To Tweet
Technology has also made digital vision boards portable; rather than having it on your wall where you will only see them whilst in that room, you can carry a digital vision board around with you on your mobile phone and watch it anywhere, anytime.
Think about all that wasted time you spend traveling, queuing, waiting, and how you can make use of it immersing yourself in your vision boards.
4 Digital Vision Board Apps
I’ve created my vision boards using many different applications. Rather than reviewing lots of apps that do pretty much the same thing I wanted to show you a variety of options with different use cases to help you find one that will meet your needs.
Microsoft OneNote is an excellent, free way to produce visions boards on your mobile device or computer. The pages have an almost infinite scroll both vertically and horizontally, so they are easy to create and be creative with.
OneNote works very much like a traditional physical vision board, you can add text to images, arrows, circle things in different colours, change the background colour and much more. It is a very versatile tool.
The app does not really have any audio / video capabilities so it will be less immersive than some of the others mentioned below.
Pinterest is primarily a search engine, not a social network. There isn’t very much social interaction on Pinterest but people do share their images and videos.
If you would like to share your vision board and use it like an accountability page, Pinterest is an excellent place for this.
Pinterest is also a great place to go for inspiration, it has millions of users making it the place to be to find other people who have boards related to your goals.
It is simple to use, first you select a topic, then you name your board appropriately and finally you fill your board with stuff related to your topic.
You can have a generic vision board or you can categorise your goals and have a vision board for each category, for example, Health, Relationships, Finance, Spirituality, etc.
To take your vision board to the next level, use Microsoft Powerpoint or a free alternative to create vision board style presentations and save them as videos or just watch the presentation.
This is often a good option as it is such a popular product that a lot of people already know how to use it. If you have never used it before it has a short learning curve and is very easy to use.
You can get really creative with all the animations and make things flash and fade and all sorts of other stuff to make your vision board much more interesting and appealing.
See the video below for instructions on how to turn your Microsoft Powerpoint presentation into a video for you to play on any device of your choice;
Mind Movies Vision Board App
For the ultimate vision board experience try Mind Movies. Mind Movies is a piece of software that has images, videos, affirmations and music already built in. You will not need to go trawling the internet searching for media to create your vision board. This feature makes it quick and easy to use.
Just drag and drop your images and text and render the video. If you want to use your own media you can choose to import your own audio, video and image files. You can also write your own affirmations making it a versatile tool for any skill level.
Mind movies has its own community to share your experiences with others for an even bigger boost in motivation.
The movies it makes are great and can be exported to a popular video format for you to use on your mobile device or your computer. Here’s a Mind Movies demo;
The creation of your vision board in the Mind Movies App is fun, simple, and easy. Of the four options listed here it’s the most immersive. It was created specifically as a Vision Board app where-as the others have different primary use cases.
How to use your vision board app to create something that actually works
- Decide on your goals.
This is often the most challenging part. For best effect, limit yourself to a few goals. Perhaps your goals are a fit body, a new car, and a vacation to Hawaii. It’s up to you. What excites you?
- Locate images, music and videos that depict or symbolize the future you’d like to achieve.A picture is worth 1,000 words. There are plenty of sources for images across the internet both free and paid;
- Find pictures that best represent the goals you wish to achieve. If you’re striving for a new car, find the exact model and color. When you look at the photo, you should get the same feeling you get when you think about the goal.
- Mindmovies comes with a selection of images, videos and audio preloaded to make your vision board even easier to create
- Choose the best words to go on your vision board.A suitable word might be “Porsche” or “Honolulu”. Also consider how you’ll feel when the goal is achieved: “Excited,” “Grateful,” “Proud”. What qualities will you need to achieve these goals? “Committed,” “Powerful,” or maybe “Optimistic”.
- Select some fitting music if you are using Mindmovies or something similar. Choose something that motivates you personally, everybody has defferent taste, you can get royalty free music for personal use here; Bensound.com
- Compile the words, photos, videos and music on your vision board. Arrange everything in a way that pleases you using your chosen vision board app. If you want to customize your images check out the following GIMP tutorial, a very good, free photo editing program;
Using your vision board app is just as important as creating it
- Keep your vision board where you will see it at least twice each day. Create a shortcut to it on your homepage of your mobile phone and PC/laptop. Set reminders on your phone to check it periodically and pull it out when your motivation is low.
- Spend a few minutes each morning using your vision board app. This can set the tone for the rest of your day. Reminding yourself of your goals each morning will point your brain in the right direction. You will see opportunities to help make your dreams come true. It is then your job to seize those opportunities.
- Using your vision board before bed is just as important. Your brain is highly active while you sleep. You brain spends all night churning away, trying to find solutions to your requests. Give your brain the information it needs. Look at the items on your vision board and imagine possessing them. Experience how that feels. Part of your brain will spend all night trying to make your vision board a reality.
4 things that MUST be in place to make your vision board work
- An immersive vision board that gets you excited whenever you look at it
- A solid, achievable plan, one you know you can get behind every time you watch your digital vision board
- Resources. You will need many things to achieve your goals. If unavailable, you will need a plan to acquire the necessary resources to achieve the goals on your vision board.
- Persistence, stick with it and give it time to work. Quite often people give up using vision boards too early, consistency and persistence are key to making them work.
I hope you liked this introduction to vision boards, I have created a step by step course complete with work books, checklists and worksheets to help you master the art of vision board creation and finally reach those goals you’ve been dreaming about for years. Sign up below for your FREE 4 week Vision Board Master Class.